download All Football App

Prestianni set to be available for Benfica's UCL game at Real Madrid

  /  autty

Gianluca Prestianni is likely to be available to face Real Madrid on Wednesday, one week after Vinicius Junior accused him of racist abuse.

The Benfica winger allegedly abused Vinicius after the Real Madrid forward scored the winning goal in their Champions League knockout play-off first leg on Tuesday in Lisbon.

Vinicius informed the referee that he believed he had been racially abused, with Francois Letexier initiating the anti-racism protocol and suspending the game for around 10 minutes.

UEFA has appointed an ethics and disciplinary inspector to investigate the incident but Sky Sports News has been told it could take up to three weeks to conclude.

If found guilty, Prestianni - who denies the allegation - will be suspended for at least 10 games.

On Thursday, Real Madrid stated they had "provided UEFA with all the available evidence on the incidents".

"Our club has actively collaborated with the investigation opened by UEFA after the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.

"Real Madrid appreciates the unanimous endorsement, support and affection that our player Vinicius Junior has received from all areas of world football.

"Real Madrid will continue to work, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and society."

Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius' Real Madrid team-mate, said after the game he and other Benfica players heard what Prestianni said to Vinicius.

But Benfica released a statement on Wednesday offering their "full support" to their player and suggested a "defamation campaign" is in action against him.

Mourinho suggests Vinicius 'incited' reaction

Jose Mourinho, the Benfica manager, has been widely criticised for his reaction to the incident.

Vinicius reacted to his goal by dancing in front of the Benfica fans, after which Mourinho said: "When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way."

Later asked if he believed Vinicius "incited" the home crowd and players with his celebration, the Benfica boss added: "Yeah, I believe so. The words they exchange, Prestianni with Vinicius, I want to be independent. I don't comment about it.

"When he was arguing about racism, I told him the biggest person in the history of this club was black [Eusebio]. This club, the last thing it is is racist.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium. Every stadium that Vinicius plays [in] something happens. Always."

Carra: It's rich coming from Mourinho

Sky Sports' Jamie Carragher, speaking on CBS, described Mourinho as "a guy who celebrates and antagonises the opposition probably more than any coach has ever done".

"Anyone can celebrate how they like," Carragher added. "You shouldn't get racially abused no matter what.

"It feels a little rich coming from Mourinho.

"Remember him running down the touchline at Old Trafford? I remember in a cup final against Liverpool when Chelsea scored very late, [Mourinho was] telling all the Liverpool supporters to shut up.

"It's a bit rich coming from him to be having a pop at Vinicius Junior for his celebration. It's a huge goal in a big Champions League game, he's more than entitled to celebrate how he likes."

'It's hypocrisy from Jose'

Meanwhile, Micah Richards described Mourinho's comments as "hypocrisy".

"Mourinho is someone who I absolutely love as a coach," the Sky Sports pundit said on CBS' Champions League coverage.

"I expect better from him because he's a powerful person within the sport. A lot of people listen to what he says.

"It's hypocrisy from him talking about Vinicius Junior when he celebrates how he wants."

Seedorf: Mourinho made 'big mistake'

Former Real Madrid midfielder Clarence Seedorf, who was working as a pundit at the game, said Mourinho made "a big mistake" with his comments.

He said on Amazon Prime: "I think he made a big mistake today to justify racial abuse. I'm not saying that was the case today but he mentioned something more than today.

"He said wherever he goes these things happen so he's saying it's OK when Vinicius provokes you, that is it OK to be racist and I think that is very wrong.

"We should never, ever justify racial abuse."

Kick It Out accuses Mourinho of 'gaslighting'

Meanwhile, anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out has accused Mourinho of gaslighting for his response to Vinicius Jr's allegations of racist abuse.

A Kick It Out statement said: "When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported.

"Focusing on Vinicius Junior's goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting.

"This approach not only harms the individual affected but also sends the wrong message to others around the world who may have experienced similar situations.

"Leaders in football have a crucial role in setting standards, and moments like these call for responsible leadership that reinforces respect, inclusion, and accountability.

"We look forward to a thorough investigation into this incident, with appropriate accountability linked to the outcome."